Photo credit: John Hopkins University
A group of students from John Hopkins University have invented Tastee Tape, an edible adhesive designed to keep burritos, gyros, wraps and more together when being eaten. This team of chemical and biomolecular engineering students used their own experiences with messy meals to make this a reality. The tape itself is composed of food-grade fibrous scaffold and an organic adhesive.
Tastee Tape is a clear, edible tape that keeps things closed, while for demonstration purposes, a blue dye has been added to show it in-action. Since the team is applying for a patent, the exact formula for creating Tastee Tape has not yet been revealed. Months were spent prototyping the strip design, and the result was a rectangular shape that measures roughly 0.5-inches by 2-inches affixed to waxed paper. To use a strip, just remove it from the waxed paper and wet thoroughly to activate. Who knows? You may be able to use Tastee Tape on these LEGO waffles for your next food creation.
Hamilton Beach Breakfast Sandwich Maker with Egg Cooker Ring, Customize Ingredients, Perfect for English Muffins, Croissants, Mini Waffles, Single, Silver
- Quick and easy: This sandwich maker cooks your breakfast, lunch, or dinner sandwich in just minutes. Perfect for brunch or a quick, healthy meal on the go.
- Create custom sandwiches: Use this breakfast maker to completely customize your sandwich with your choice of bread, cheese, eggs, meats, and much more. Eliminate the bread and these are great for Keto and Paleo diets too.
- Get inspired: Explore more than 25 sandwich maker recipes on our website.
- Just 4 easy steps: Building your breakfast sandwich comes together in just a few steps with a breakfast maker—and you don’t even need to leave your house.
- Easy cleanup: All removable parts on this sandwich maker are dishwasher safe and surfaces are covered with durable, nonstick coating.
First, we learned about the science around tape and different adhesives, and then we worked to find edible counterparts. What I can say is that all its ingredients are safe to consume, are food grade, and are common food and dietary additives,” said Tyler Guarino.